It’s time for the beet and garlic harvest. Put them together with microgreens and a few other tasty ingredients and you have a light lunch or a good dinner accompaniment.
Beets are not everyone’s favorite vegetable, but they deserve to be! Full of color and packed full of essential nutrients, beets (also known as beetroot) are a great source of healthy fiber, vitamins (especially B9, or ‘folate’ and vitamin C), manganese, potassium, and they are a rich source of iron. Beetroots are associated with numerous health benefits, but since we are not doctors here, we will leave you to discover all the magnificent things that beets can do for you!
There are many ways to eat beets. Pickled beets are very tasty- a sweet pickle that usually has a few spices added, they are great to add to salads, eat as a snack, and experiment with on sandwiches and…pizza! Borscht, another common Slavic recipe is well known throughout the west. But, my favorite way to eat beets is either as chips or in salads.
This salad, inspired by a well-loved salad that my Ukrainian friend made for me, is simple to make, as full of nutrition as a salad can be, and full of rich flavors. Play with the amount of garlic. Children are quite sensitive to the flavor of garlic so adjust the amount of garlic to your tastes. The walnuts can be substituted with pecans, pine nuts, or slivered almonds. Don’t have broccoli microgreens? Use pea, radish, or almost any other microgreen to slightly vary the flavor.
- 3 medium beets
- 3 Tbsps. light sour cream
- 3 Tbsps. light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2-3 small garlic cloves grated or rubbed
- 1 Tbsp. parsley chopped
- 3 Tbsps. broccoli microgreens chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the beets in an instapot for 10 minutes, or boil for 45 minutes until soft.
- Dump the beets into cold water, and immediately slip off the skins.
- Either grate the beets or cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream garlic, salt and pepper, nuts, parsley, and microgreens.
- Mix the beets with the creamy mixture, and refrigerate for an hour or more to allow the flavors to blend.