Winter Squash and Mixed Rice
Delightful as a special side dish for Thanksgiving, this is easy to make and tastes amazing.
- 3 cups peeled and diced butternut, sweetmeat, or other orange winter squash
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 t tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup mixed rice- brown, white, wild and red
- 1 Tbsp. finely diced onion
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 tsp EACH: red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander and salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped microgreens
Preheat the oven to 350F
In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, and seasonings.
Add the squash and mix well.
Roast on a baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, just until tender- the squash should be firm, not mushy. Stir the squash after about 8 minutes.
Remove from oven and set aside to cool
Cook the rice according to package directions.
While the rice is cooking, saute the onion in oil for 3 minutes until soft and translucent, but not browned. Add the cranberries and seasonings and stir for 2 minutes, until the cranberries soften.
Remove from heat
When the rice is done, mix the rice with the onion mixture. Add the microgreens and stir well.
Serve the Squash on top of the rice, or mix together. Good warm or at room temperature.