Or, starting where you are- with spaghetti
Spaghetti is one of those fast, feel-good foods that nearly everyone loves. Perfect for a busy day, it doesn’t exactly have the reputation for being a health food however. Enter the mighty microgreen…
Cooking with microgreens doesn’t have to be time consuming or take a lot of extra planning. Start where you are and just add the ‘greens! Microgreens are much tastier, have more nutrients, and have a better texture if they are fresh and raw, so add them at the end. Not only are there more nutrients in microgreens than a full-size vegetable, but they are bioavailable without heating and will be fully absorbed by the body.
You could, of course, make the sauce for this dish from scratch if you have the fresh tomatoes, basil and onions on hand. For this recipe, however, we are going to start with an organic, gluten-free bottled spaghetti sauce… which turns this into an almost-instant meal.
It took less than 2 minutes to turn this spaghetti bowl from ‘blah’ to ‘Yum!’, and added a full 2 servings of vegetable micronutrients with just a handful of microgreens.
Spaghetti with Microgreens
- 12 oz whole-wheat spaghetti
- 18 oz spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups microgreens chopped
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions, 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- While spaghetti is cooking, heat spaghetti sauce.
- Remove sauce from heat and add microgreens.
- Pour sauce over cooked spaghetti and serve immediately.