Popcorn microgreens are AMAZING! Super sweet, tender, and full of micronutrients, they are easy-ish to grow.
I call it ‘easy-ish’ because they have an important and critical difference from all other microgreens- they need to be grown in darkness. Not just during the blackout period when the cover is on, but during the entire growing cycle. They also need good air circulation. It sounds complicated, but once you have grown them the first time, you will find that they are no more difficult than other microgreens.
Where to grow popcorn microgreens
A dark storeroom, a closet that stays closed, even a large cupboard will work. However, to avoid mold, they need air circulation. If you have a small fan in the growing area, it will help eliminate mold. Once the house is dark, open the growing area to get even more air circulation- just don’t forget to close it again in the morning. This is one seed that benefits from H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) treatment- spray the seeds with 3% H2O2 when planting, and then spray the soil and seeds once each day during the first 5 days.
Where to get the seeds?
This is one seed that is easy to find- go to your favorite grocery store and buy non-GMO popcorn in a bag- not the microwave kind, but the bulk-type bags. Although they may not have as high a germination rate as those grown specifically for microgreens, you should have at least an 80% germination rate if the seeds are less than 3 years old. Germination goes down as seeds get older, but if they sprout, they are good.
For those that ‘prep’, or store food, learning to grow microgreens is an important skill that assures that you will have fresh vegetables all year round.
Directions for Corn Microgreens:
For a 5×5 grow tray (the size of the trays in our grow kits), you will need 1/4 cup of seed.
- Soak seeds in cool water for 12 hours.
- Rinse under cool, running water.
- Prepare your tray with an inch of soil.
- Spread the seeds evenly over the soil.
- Spray the seeds with hydrogen peroxide and let them finish ‘bubbling’ before covering the tray.
- Cover with a second tray, and add weight (a can of beans, fist-sized rock, etc.).
- Leave in an area with good air circulation, but without direct light for 2 days.
- Remove cover and weight, spray seeds with H2o2, and place the tray in a dark area to germinate and grow. If you have a small fan available, place it in the growing area- but not blowing directly on the tray.
- Water from below and keep the soil damp but not soggy. If you notice any mold, spray with H2o2 daily.
- Harvest 8-12 days