Crab and Corn Salad
We call this Stas’s Salad.
For special celebrations in our family, everyone makes their favorite foods. We have a very eclectic group of recipes from all over the world that have become favorites, and we love to find ways to include microgreens in old and new favorites.
This special salad recipe is from a young man who became part of our family for a year as a FLEX exchange student more than 15 years ago. He was homesick for all the flavors from home so we found what he needed and he spent hours making this special salad. It was an instant hit with everyone.
In Ukraine and Russia, it is called ‘Салат из крабовых палочек’ or, ‘salad from crab sticks’, and it usually includes rice, and perhaps onion, peas, or other ingredients- each family has their own special ingredient.
Over the years we have made it our own with quinoa and microgreens. Although it looks a little different than when Stas was here and made it for us, we think of him with fondness, and hope for his safety, every time we make it. My preference is to add pea, buckwheat, and chive microgreens, but almost any microgreen will be a good addition- try radish, mustard, or shiso for a different flavor.
Have you ever had an exchange student live with you? Did they cook any special meals from their home country?
Crab and Corn Salad with Microgreens
- 1/2 cup chopped eggs
- 1/2 cup prepared quinoa
- 1/2 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup 'crab sticks' made of fish
- 1/2 cup chopped microgreens
- 1/2 cup green onions or chive microgreens
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Sour cream
- 1 tbsp dill weed
- 1 tbsp horseradish or stone-ground mustard
- Put the chopped eggs in a large bowl and add quinoa
- Mix in the corn and chopped crab
- Chop the microgreens fine and add to the bowl.
- Mix the sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, and horseradish together in a small bowl, and add to the salad. Stir gently until all is mixed well. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Allow to sit for an hour or more to meld flavors. Serve with micro chives.