Solyanka is a thick Russian soup made with surprising ingredients- pickles and olives! Soups are a mainstay in Russian cuisine, and Solyanka is one that is popular in most of the country as well as in Ukraine.
There are many different recipes for Solyanka, but they all have potatoes and pickles. Most have sausage and other meat, as well as cabbage, carrots and other available vegetables. Some add olives, others add fish or dill.
- 6 cups Water
- 4 Potatoes
- 1 large Onion
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/3 lb Italian Sausage, fried
- 1/3 lb Kielbasa-style sausage, chopped
- 2 Fresh Tomatoes, choppped (or 1 can tomatoes)
- 2 large Carrots, shredded
- 2 large Dill pickles
- 10 Black Olives
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorn (whole)
- 1 tsp Salt
- Radish Microgreens
- Chive Microgreens
- Sour cream
- Bring the water to a boil in a large pot. Add the salt and cubed potatoes. Boil for 15 minutes.
- Chop the onion and fry with a small amount of oil on medium heat, until soft.
- Add the onion and cabbage to the pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients -except for microgreens and sour cream- to the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with a handful of radish microgreens in each bowl. Sprinkle with chive microgreens and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
riend of mine, Lena.