These are the best vegetarian meatballs! Full of protein, fiber, nutrients, and flavor, these will beat the store-bought mushy kind any day. Even meat-eaters (read "my husband") will eat them with pleasure. Great for meat-free Mondays.
Vegetarian Meatballs with microgreens
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 20 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup quick cook oats
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chopped radish microgreens
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 24oz Marinara sauce
- Mixed microgreens to garnish
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, increase the heat to medium-high and cook for 10-15 minutes until the water evaporates and the mushrooms brown. Add garlic, stir briefly for one minute, and transfer into a mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except marinara and garnishes, and stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight for the flavors and texture to develop.
- Using a small cookie scoop (or a tablespoon measure), form small balls from the mixture. Bake them in a preheated oven at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Add marinara sauce to a medium saucepan. Add the seasonings and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve over whole-grain noodles. Garnish with grated Parmesan and mixed microgreens
Calories: 355kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 389mg | Potassium: 699mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 750IU | Vitamin C: 15.9mg | Calcium: 97mg | Iron: 4.2mg[/fusion_text]